Monday, October 26, 2009

Ch-Ch-Changes

Fall set in quickly this year, though it came out of a long and lovely Indian summer that almost convinced me there would never be rain or temperatures in single digits. Each and every late August over the past I don't-know-how-many years has prompted me to take stock and make plans. Part of this is probably a hangover from school days (change comes after Labour Day, even still) and part of it is attached to that less tangible nostalgia that perfumes the air the first day I realize I need a sweater - at least in the morning and late in the day- when it becomes a physical reality that it's time to accept change, like it or not.

I'm slightly fascinated by those who welcome and embrace change. I don't do these things easily and I'm amazed that anyone else can just roll with things gracefully, let alone jump up and shout "bring it on!". The odd thing is that whether you resist or embrace it, change is going to happen. Supposedly, it's the one thing that's constant - which makes no sense, like most things that are deeply true.

By now I bet most of you had given up on me. Some of you probably imagined I got hold of myself, grew up and got out of this silly horse business before I got hurt. Others might have figured I got a horse and just cantered off into the sunset happy as a clam. Nope and nope.

What I had been so busy doing up to now was plotting my exit strategy, executing it and choking on the settling dust. I don't do change easily, but I get what needs to be done done.

No comments:

Post a Comment