Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Making Advances

In March of this year I finally decided to stop lurking about and make contact with New Stride. I chose the number for the volunteer coordinator that wasn't long distance, in hopes that that might equal a shorter drive to where the horses were. Here is what transpired:

Hi Marcy
Thanks for your interest. Just running out the door this morning but will communicate soon. All the best
Greg

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 5:27 PM, Marcy Emery wrote:

Hi Greg,

Sorry I missed your call today, I was out in the garden trying to get a few things done before the rain comes back. Anyway, I'm glad you suggested email- it allows me to be long-winded without seeming overly obnoxious (or at least I hope it does)! As a frequent visitor to the New Stride website (just dreaming at this stage) I've become more and more interested in volunteering with you as a way to spend time with horses, improve my skills and make a difference in some small way.

I started riding again last year after several years away from the sport and the animals and wasn't sure my body could take it, though I knew my heart was willing. I started riding for fun as an eight year-old kid in Manitoba and went on to Pony Club, hunter/jumper, eventing and eventually studied classical dressage with Frank Grelo in Cedar Mills, Ontario. Like lots of young girls with big dreams, I ran out of money about the time I went to university. Back in those days (the 80's), almost all the horses I rode rode were thoroughbreds- the warmbloods were just beginning to come to the fore at that point- and I owned or leased about half a dozen during my serious riding career. Then, as now, there was never any shortage of great horses looking for a new life off the track.

In 1996 I had just lost my Mom and closed my business and was looking for an in-between-jobs kind of job. I lived in the PNE area and had heard that the track was always hiring experienced horsepeople, so I went down to see about a job. I ended up being hired as a groom and worked most of the season there - I got sidelined by a shoulder injury in the fall and was too sore to work safely. I worked for two different trainers, one good and the other highly questionable. At any rate, I was disappointed that I wasn't fit to finish the season as I had one horse in particular (the nastiest, most likley to end up as Alpo one in the barn) that went to the Winner's Circle with me once before my season was cut short. I'm sure we both look shocked in that photo!

Anyway, I've seen both sides of the thoroughbred world and I'm not going to judge anybody. Racing will continue and so will the equestrian sports. I will say that I'm sorry that thoroughbreds (and homegrown ones at that) have lost a bit of their sparkle since the warmbloods took over, but that doesn't mean that good horses can't have great careers or great lives outside of any kind of Winner's Circle.

What I'm good at, and what I could offer, is quality time one-on-one with your horses. This could be anything from simple handling, grooming and groundwork to schooling under saddle. My approach is relationship based and I'm willing to work to gain trust and to establish a positive relationship with a horse from the ground up.

One of the best horses I ever rode, a Manitoba thoroughbred, broke my arm the day I was taking him out of the pasture and back to the barn for training (he kicked me when we were trying to load him onto the trailer). I had six weeks in a cast and had to just spend time with him on the ground getting to know him and getting him to trust me. That year we were third overall in the province at our level. It was a lesson I haven't forgotten, and the best possible thing that could have happened. Time really heals and patience is essential.

At the moment, I lease a horse in Richmond at Riverside Equestrian. I ride there Tuesdays and Thursdays casually - I don't do lessons or showing, just hacking mainly. The little horse I have there is a bit of a spaz- very easily frightened and in need of a confident rider. He's a good boy really and he can't help that something about every little sound sets him off. We're working on that and mostly just having fun. I'm also getting back into shape and geting used to the touchy, twitchy, nervous mount riding that I was used to back in the day. It's amazing what you remember. I don't jump at this point as my knees are questionable and the most serious of my training is in dressage which poses more challenges anyway. I am happy to ride on the flat, though I do have a background in jumping.

I'm not fussy about what I do for you- I don't have a giant ego about being the next great trainer or rider at all. I'm nearly 40, my body has its limits and there's no point in trying to gild the lily. I am happy just being around horses. My work schedule is slightly unusual in that I work from 4:30am -12:30pm Monday, Tuesday and Thursday. At this point., I'm available Monday afternoons (I ride at Riverside Tues. and Thurs.) and also a bit on the weekends. I live in East Van, so would ideally like to go no further than Langley - but I'm a soft touch, so try me.

I will be in Langley next Monday for a fitting with Lynn Saunders. I told her I'd be there around 2pm and shouldn't be more than an hour with her. I'd be happy to come out and meet you afterward if that suits you-just let me know where to go and I'll head over when I'm done.

You can call me over the weekend or just email me back here. I am going to help the girls at the barn with the Southlands Playday show this weekend so will be in and out Saturday and Sunday. Hope we can meet up next week and make plans!

Thanks so much,
Marcy

No comments:

Post a Comment