Wednesday, August 5, 2009

And so it begins...

Here are my notes from my first day with working with Regal, copied form my notebook verbatim.

Day 1 - It's Official, ish.

Made contact, made my way around the exterior quietly. Looked for the flymask - everywhere. This included a trip through the grass in the paddock with the boy following at a safe distance. He comes when called very willing and does this repeatedly. Applied flymask, without ease.

Back at the fence (in the food area) he pushed me around a bit with his head. On the lead he turns his head inward and seems a bit uncomfortable though testing as well. I think he expects me to shank him. The way he turns and bites on the lead seems half-playful and half-fearful. He's a bit coltish (keep away from mares).

Kept everything light and fun in each activity and left quietly.

Grooming- work on brushing and handling, longer sessions
- feet:just get 'em done, don't overhandle
- work on sensitivity to aids for movement in stall, etc. (over, back )
- back pushes the 'dominant' button - go slowly there

No comments:

Post a Comment