Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Have a little faith

I'm not the praying type, though I guess I do turn to God/Goddess, the Creator, a Supreme Being from time to time, as evidenced by my request sent into the great beyond for courage, strength and wisdom with Regal.

As I may have suggested, I'm not religious in any sort of formal sense. That being said, I do consider myself to be a deeply spiritual person and I tend to view spirituality as religion without dogma. While some may argue that this demonstrates a lack of commitment on my part, I would counter that argument with the suggestion that not defining my spiritual affiliation allows me the freedom to embrace what resonates within me on a spiritual level.

Through a connection of dots, I came across this part of of John Lyons' website and it really spoke to me. You can feel however you feel about capital 'G-O-D', but I think that if you love horses you will get something out of this.

http://www.johnlyons.com/index.php/living-room/in-faith

The part of this I like the most is that it highlights our sacred relationship with the horse, albeit in a Christian context. If we're getting down to brass tacks, we (the great collective 'we', that is all of humanity) have been involved in this relationship since before there was a Jesus. As we all know, it's impolite to discuss religion in company so let's move on to the more general and lighter side of this discussion.

I believe very strongly in the power of horses, in their ability to heal and transform us as human beings. In my darkest hours, horses have always come to comfort me. Even when I have been miles away from a stable or any real live horses I have been in their presence in the world of dreams.

During troubled or confusing times in my life over the years I have found myself waking from gorgeous dreams of riding, of connecting and of feeling truly free. Horses I have known came to carry me in these dreams, as did the faceless ones who just showed me that marvelous feeling again and then moved off before morning into the dawn's early light. Waking with a wet face and a renewed sense of purpose, I knew always that these 'nightmares' were there to help, not harm.

Horses are a gift to us as human beings. Where that gift comes from is trivial so long as we strive to be worthy of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment