Thursday, August 6, 2009

The Herd


At the beginning of June, Regal was to be moved to Wynn's barn as Greg needed to clear horses out to begin renovations and most of the horses in his care were going to pasture so the fences could come down and the work could begin. Regal was definitely not a candidate for pasture at this point and Greg couldn't manage too many high maintenance horses while haying and renovating. After a hard winter, a summer of hard work would come.

I said that I would follow Regal over to the other barn and stick with it, despite the setbacks. Or maybe because of them. For a minute Greg thought that meant I wasn't going to keep my Monday and Saturday appointments at his place. I was mildly shocked - that had never even crossed my mind.

The dark bay boy on the left in the photo is Tempest. He is a little stick of dynamite, the definition of the word 'goer'. I started riding him in early April and he whipped me into shape in short order. Very quick, very agile and astonishingly surefooted. If I asked him to turn he would gladly drop his shoulder and throw his head towards his tail. He'd do this occasionally when I hadn't asked too, but could also turn a very tight corner on a steep uphill trail at a gallop with four wheel drive safety. I just went with him and rediscovered the joy of the great rip about in the country on horseback. If that sounds kind of Edwardian, it's meant to.

Greg has a wonderful herd around him and is so very kind and gentle with the horses in his care. He's very good at handling youngsters and tends to create quiet and sensible kids. His own horses are a unique collection of beautiful souls; Tempest (the rip-snorter) Buddy (the survivor), Maverick (Mr. Smooth), Calypso (magical) and Black Ace aka Mighty Mouse (gentle giant). There are the yearlings, the Thoroughbreds and the boarders' horses in the mix too - each of them special and important. I belong to this herd and I wouldn't take leaving it lightly.

There is something very comforting about the way a herd works. Herd language and communication is as subtle as it is concise. Each member has a role and knows their place, but the herd is never static for long. Change comes and the group responds as necessary; cohesion is highly valued. Alliances form and dissolve, challenges are made for leadership, new faces are incorporated but the herd finds a way to hang together. It all gets worked out, with a little help from the thoughtful human leader of course...as these are shedrows and paddocks and pastures, not wild and wide open spaces.

I need this herd and the way it works in my life. Membership in this family has become crucial to my survival in the world at large and I couldn't imagine wandering alone again, out there on my own. My role is bringer of food, maker of fresh beds, helper, rider, friend and protector. My reward is to belong.

No comments:

Post a Comment