Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Working it out

After my Day 4, I sent a message to Greg that I want to share with you because I think it illuminates things a little. It's all a process...

Good morning Greg,

I'm glad everybody was okay - I followed the map and maybe the order of operations, or just guessed at the correct order of turnout based on what I know about everybody.

Cookie Monster was quite fresh with me, a bit of a mini-Regal even. He was mouthy with the halter in the stall and also the lead on the walk out and even lifted his outside front leg a couple times as we went. Fortunately, he really gets it when one says 'hey, don't be doing that'. It's kind of funny to watch the little 'oops' go through his body when you check him, the physical registration of his brain saying 'I guess I went too far there'. He was definitely feeling coltish yesterday.

Regal was a bit of an idiot when I put Aly out - he really crowded the gate and tried to muscle in on us. I got the gate closed and let Aly go to get away from him and then I ran at Regal growling like a pissed-off mountain lion. He seemed to get that at least and ran away in a hurry. A small victory, but at least he heard me roar.

It was a good exercise for me to come and do that yesterday. I was feeling quite rattled after the big blow up with Regal - I don't scare easily, but rearing and striking are things that really should scare a person. Regal is trying to establish dominance with me I think and I need to get across that I don't want to play that way. Part of his game is to constantly try to face me and barge me around with his head. If I stand at the shoulder he then tries to mouth me or whatever I might be holding. The escalation then becomes trapping me between his mouth and his front feet and trying to muscle me around. Saying no, checking him on the halter,etc. just seems to make it worse - his head goes up, he gets the crazy eye and digs in for a standoff. What do you do with that? I can't be nice, that doesn't work. I can't be harsh because that makes it worse. All I can figure at this stage is to be smart and carry a stick in case I need to illustrate a point.

Anyway, I should actually do some work here. My puzzle will have to wait until my paperwork is done...have a great day, looks like another nice one. See you Thursday.

M

----- Original Message -----
From: Gregory Charles Finseth
Date: Tuesday, May 26, 2009 10:01 pm
Subject: gold star
To: Marcy Emery

> Marcy
> Just came in now from the barn and everyone (except Cookie
> Monster) was
> exceptionally good. Thanks so much. It's not often that I can
> award the gold
> star but in this case more than well deserved. Really, really
> appreciate your attention to detail and dedication. Hope you had
> some fun. Even when
> it's really hard I love doing the chores and taking care of
> everyone. Most
> people don't get it but it's a way of feeling needed I guess.
> We'll see you
> Thursday and thanks again. Best
> Greg
>

No comments:

Post a Comment