Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Day 3 - Subtitle: SCARY

Moved into the round pen area and though initially good at moving out and walking decently things didn't go well for long. A LOT of stopping and refusal to move out, some mouthiness in these pauses.

No hope of grooming, just a lot of barging me around. Went up twice in the same corner. Then it got ugly- he grabbed the lead right up to the snap, cranked his head inwards and came at me to muscle me around, with striking and hops off the ground. I finally had to scream at him, throw the lead in his face and run him off.

Removed the lead from the sfaety of the other side of the fence - and thank god for that because I think he might have charged me otherwise. Left him alone in the pen and walked down the road to calm myself down. he didn't want to engage at all after that.

Waited for Greg to come back to return him to the paddock - he was at least decent about the walk back.

Once in the paddock he came boldly up to the fence and started mouthing at Greg. Greg checked him up and he went away with a very sour look.

---Should have known something was up by the way he sort of hid from me. When i arrived he kept his head down low and sort of poked one eye above the fence rail under the tree.

---was usuing the clicker and treats which may have caused the problem (the treats mainly)

End result: not the most successful day by a longshot. I was genuinely scared and he was genuinely dangerous. I feel that this is about dominance. He doesn't want to do things and wants to be the boss - likes to barge me around with his head, threaten with teeth and now the rearing and striking.

There's some fear in there too. It seems he was always handled on a lip chain (for obvious reasons I suppose)

He is really testing me now.

That i had to run away was probably bad but I also don't want to play that way or escalate things. I likely wouldn't win in a showdown and I don't want to go there at all. Some of this seems coltish but there wasn't much playful in his demeanour in the big blow-up. Not sure what to think really. he expects me to yell and shank him and get rough. I want to change the game entirely. I don't like his game at all.

What kind of fun and safe game can we replace this with?

I want to be fun and interesting but I want to play safely and work with a horse that respects me. Without learning respect Regal is doomed as he is - he can't be taken anywhere. No barn is going to tolerate that sh__, it's too much of a hassle. I would be kicked out of everywhere I went with a horse like that and rightly so. I also could afford the insurance or the lawsuits that might stem from this kind of behaviour.

I don't want to be rough or violent but I will probably have to be prepared to defend myself and lay down the law. I think I need help.

No comments:

Post a Comment